timezone Netherlands
GertK
2004-11-17 20:23:50 UTC

The timezone TZ setting on our Dutch AIX 5.2 servers is
NFT-1DFT,M3.5.0,M10.5.0
Is this correct?
According to IBM docs this zone would be that of Norway, which has the
same time (GMT+1) as The Netherlands and therefore seems to be the right
one for The Netherlands as well. Does anybody know what the abbreviation
NFT stands for?
Txs,

Gert
Tim Knight
2004-11-17 20:34:44 UTC
Hi Gert......

Take a look here:

http://www.timeanddate.com/library/abbreviations/timezones/au/nft.html
Ulrich Plate
2004-11-20 20:29:47 UTC
Post by Tim Knight
Hi Gert......
http://www.timeanddate.com/library/abbreviations/timezones/au/nft.html
Wrong. NFT in AIX is Norway France Time, not Norfolk Time.

Ulrich Plate
GertK
2004-11-21 13:43:54 UTC
Post by Ulrich Plate
Wrong. NFT in AIX is Norway France Time, not Norfolk Time.
Ulrich Plate
Correct. Got confirmation that most aix folks in Netherlands, Belgium,
France, etc use NFT as in Norway France Time. In the past on other unix
variants I used CET or MET.
Confusing this ambiguity in timezone land. Outside the context of aix,
NFT also means Norfolk (Island) Time (an Australian timezone) and
Newfoundland Time (Canada).
It's time for an international standard for timezones without
ambiguities and adopted by all unix flavours ..

Gert
Villy Kruse
2004-11-22 08:34:03 UTC
On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 14:43:54 +0100,
Post by GertK
Correct. Got confirmation that most aix folks in Netherlands, Belgium,
France, etc use NFT as in Norway France Time. In the past on other unix
variants I used CET or MET.
Confusing this ambiguity in timezone land. Outside the context of aix,
NFT also means Norfolk (Island) Time (an Australian timezone) and
Newfoundland Time (Canada).
It's time for an international standard for timezones without
ambiguities and adopted by all unix flavours ..
Why is it that IBM AIX came up with that silly meaning of NFT?

It would be nice if AIX and other comercial unix systems would adobt
the A.D. Olson's TZ package just like any free BSD or Gnu/Linux does.
Sun systems also use the Olson's TZ package, I beleive. It would then
be so much easier to handle timzones around the world.

Villy
Markus Baertschi
2004-11-23 22:12:10 UTC
Post by Villy Kruse
It would be nice if AIX and other comercial unix systems would adobt
the A.D. Olson's TZ package just like any free BSD or Gnu/Linux does.
Sun systems also use the Olson's TZ package, I beleive. It would then
be so much easier to handle timzones around the world.
Villy
The standard Linux way is to link to the continent/country/city. I hate
this because the city where I am is never in the list. I *much* prefer a
'standardized' TZ value like I know it from AIX. In addition this
allows me easily to have several accounts with different TZ values on
the same machine.

Markus
Villy Kruse
2004-11-24 09:00:47 UTC
On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 23:12:10 +0100,
Post by Markus Baertschi
Post by Villy Kruse
It would be nice if AIX and other comercial unix systems would adobt
the A.D. Olson's TZ package just like any free BSD or Gnu/Linux does.
Sun systems also use the Olson's TZ package, I beleive. It would then
be so much easier to handle timzones around the world.
Villy
The standard Linux way is to link to the continent/country/city. I hate
this because the city where I am is never in the list. I *much* prefer a
'standardized' TZ value like I know it from AIX. In addition this
allows me easily to have several accounts with different TZ values on
the same machine.
You get the same with Olsons TZ package. It also supports the POSIX
format if you realy prefer. And, besides, if you set TZ to country/city
you also get cosumized timezones for each account. The /etc/localtime
link is only a fallback default when the TZ variable is missing.

Villy

Villy Kruse
2004-11-22 08:30:28 UTC
On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 21:29:47 +0100,
Post by Ulrich Plate
Post by Tim Knight
Hi Gert......
http://www.timeanddate.com/library/abbreviations/timezones/au/nft.html
Wrong. NFT in AIX is Norway France Time, not Norfolk Time.
No, it s Newfoundland time. So as NFT is clamime by both Norfolk and
Newfoundland makes it extra silly to also use that abreviation for
the CET time zone. And, by the way, CET extends from France to Poland,
from Norway to Italy, althogh the natural timezone of France is the
same as United Kingdom.

Villy
Villy Kruse
2004-11-18 08:39:33 UTC
On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 21:23:50 +0100,
Post by GertK
Hi,
The timezone TZ setting on our Dutch AIX 5.2 servers is
NFT-1DFT,M3.5.0,M10.5.0
Is this correct?
No, should be TZ=CET-1CEST,M3.5.0,M10.5.0/3
Post by GertK
According to IBM docs this zone would be that of Norway, which has the
same time (GMT+1) as The Netherlands and therefore seems to be the right
one for The Netherlands as well. Does anybody know what the abbreviation
NFT stands for?
The NFT and DFT is an IBM invention, probably, The proper names are CET
and CEST respectively for all countries in the Central European Timezone,
including Holland. Also, the change back is 3:00 local summertime.

Villy